Friday 5 December 2014

"Putting Gaston in his Place": Attitudes towards Animism, Predeterminism and Liminality in that youtube video

Here's a very charming video of a theme park actor enjoying four minutes of actual acting. I know from working in the London Dungeon, that in a job like this, normally all character and no drama, a heckling child who totally buys into it can be water in the desert.


#NOTALLMEN

But the real reason I'm posting this video is because of  the comment Neil "Ned Mond" Edmond made below, which I think is brilliant and useful:

"What I mainly like about this is that the girl's relationship with the characters and narrative matches what I hope eg. a pre-Christian norseman's relationship with a god might have been: The story is both finished and ongoing, and intervention is meaningful even when the result is predetermined."

See also: playing with Star Wars figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment